Sunday, November 15, 2015

DISPENSE Of God (Multiple real life,short stories interwovened)


ONE.
**** She deliberately tried to take my integrity for granted. God was watching.  ****
Paska Lamone sprung home, to our house in her usual lubricated temperament. She had not seen us for a couple of months. We missed her too. We missed her camaraderie. For long we yearned for her jokes. Those who know Lamone are conscious of those scrumptious-ribs breaking lies she cooks. In my heart, she remains special among liars my eyes saw since childhood.  This attribute aside, our friend Lamone is also that resolute black woman whose spirit to touch the sky one day will never get threatened by her present gale. On this particular day it emerged that Lamone had conceded a goal. As a young goalkeeper, she was clearly disturbed about the arrangement. However, her presentation to Tata’s other parent demonstrated that she was excited and happy to be with it and become a tick to the gunman responsible.

For over 20 months ever since she got into college, Lamone never came home to beat her drums and set us laughing as was before Tata was born.  Fortunate Tata didn’t like Lamone when she came to carry her. She feared and would yell when Lamone tries any touch on Tata’s handsome body. Tata’s ever-sweet smiles never benefited our friend although Lamone felt the itch of carrying and playing with our jolly, incandescent, beloved daughter.

The goal scorer is suspect number one in making Lamone turn her back to great friends of her childhood days, her time in elementary school and her moments during the journey to college. Our friend came streaming and springing like an American soldier. Without worry, I flashed her with a straight warm hug and notified her about her beauty anyway –whatever it is in other people’s perspective. We had a good time during this half day visit although Tata was unwell with flue and fever distracting her playful personality.

Being a casual moment at home with a family friend; we had everything to share; the tea and the tales. We watched a powerful old school movie together. My wife Naume Katau and I and Lamone enjoyed everything for the cool, dusty evening. My only destruction was little Tata’s condition, and because of her bad health she was out of the evening joy. In order to try and make her curve a smile, Katau shortly put a children’s movie which didn’t prick my daughter’s ribs this evening for even a second, - another reason my happiness wasn’t to the top. Like Katau has always said; when Tata smiles, my own smile doubles. For this evening my smiles were visible but not heart-pricking because my only image on earth was unwell.

Reader, Katau’s attributes are exactly as those in my 1999 dream about my wife. At that time, I met a friendly young woman in the street of London where a plane had dropped us suddenly when we escaped the most fatal rebel attack in my home district. The Ugandan president had sent planes to come and do citizen-rescue in our constituency.

The girl I met had numerous true friends. Friends who would stand by her at all moments; bad and good. Friends who would came home when they hear a fight or the usual family brawl had hit us. Friends who would respect people’s values, believes and opinion and would dare listen to all disagreeing sides in order not to pass judgment but achieve reconciliation and convergence in their comrade’s homes.

Yes, my Katau is a woman from that stumpy background. Her modesty, composure, affability, and religion hit me more than her physical beauty when I met her five years ago. She immediately brought my 1999 vision home with her hearty companions; Paska Lamone, Agness Apule, Patience Fatika and a host of other great girl friends she kept since childhood through primary school and college. I feel more protected every time Katau’s friends are home or out with her and or with me.

Lamone’s visit this particular evening would later unexpectedly bring unpleasant muddle to our house. When she was going back home, Lamone wished me and Tata, a good night and Katau walked her outside the fence as is common a practice with African women. Tata’s condition intensified with the absence of her mom and the two women consumed two hours and the darkness made things more difficult for the constantly coughing, sneezing daughter of the writer.

It was impossible to trace why mom stayed long because her mobile telephone was left right back home with us. The only person to consult was Lamone who didn’t answer her calls millions of times before picking and saying “I don’t know where your wife is”. What a shocking answer from a good friend who has just left home and taken Tata’s Mom right with her. 

Last week, an innocent engineer was murdered in the middle of this town and he had left home in the company of his friends. Continuous calls to Lamone’s mobile were either rejected or unanswered. Tata’s impatience was to the climax and she cried like both her parents had abandoned her, or as if she was an orphan. I called and called and called until she answered again and I barked at her unconsciously questioning why she says she is not aware of Katau’s location when they walked together. Lamone answered me by switching her phone off.

It was time to act like a mad man now and act fast. Tata had to join me in the ride on a hired motor-bike.” Let’s go Tata. Let’s go look for mom. Let’s try and find her now however dark and dusty it is. We shall treat the flue later. Let’s go my daughter. Let’s go.”

We got our friend along the road simply roaming home. Our mom was not seen. Our friend decided to run away from us instead of guiding us on mom's whereabouts. By running way, I got even more scared and more mad. Finally, I managed to catch up with her and, simply asked a kind man’s question in the presence of witnesses from all-over the world. I was kind, and controlled in my approach even though my emotions had skyrocketed. One thing that couldn't evaporate off my head was the need to always respect women and children in Africa. Nothing bad really happened. Mom after all was even safe and had simply taken a long route back home. I thought Lamone then merely wanted to take my integrity to the dogs if I could act like a dog at this point in time. Later, the authorities took it up for this night until the next day.

The next day, our good friend demonstrated mellowness, amity and religion by deservingly declaring to the state authorities that the writer did no really scuffle her. State people equally saw the thread of friendship, trust, religion, lenience and compassion that me and Lamone poured when they recalled the problem and thought of taking it forward. I think we were simply tried by the forces of this world this particular week in this semi-arid central town. I think God intervened immediately and all that this shit was headed for were meant to rust off immediately. At least Lamone and I had all the believe that it was done, and would not come out any more anywhere.

However, some good friend of Tata’s mom has nonsensically picked up this common worldly trial. She has carried it on and registered it as a project. The last time I realized that Tata’s only mom is being held accountable by her best friend in heart and on earth; I have planted prayer foundation stones to repulse it. So help me God! I know God will provide an answer that will be documented in the second edition of this book. I know. I know. I know. I know!

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment